5.1.09

Spinach Salad Recipe

This is the recipe for the spinach salad we had at our progressive dinner. (which by the way, if you missed it - it was a lot of fun!) It's not very exact with the measurements. You just kind of throw it together and it all works out. This recipe serves 30.

1.5 costco bags of spinach
16 oz. craisins (1/3 of the big costco bag)
1 (20 oz.) bag precooked bacon, crumbled (I cooked my own bacon - either way works)
1.5 lbs. pine nuts (I used much less than this and I think it was fine)
5 lbs. swiss cheese, shredded (I don't think I used this much cheese either - it's not exact)
1 bag of red seedless grapes, halved
all the seeds of 1 pomegranate (**see trick below for deseeding pomegranate)

can also add green onions and mushrooms

Add dressing 30 minutes before serving

Dressing (you will need to double or triple the dressing recipe to serve 30) I tripled it and it made way too much, you'll just have to play around with it to see what works for you.

2/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup salad oil
1 t salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 t mustard
blend in blender and then add 2 t poppy seeds


**To remove seeds from pomegranates, cut pomegranate in half and put in a bowl of cold water. Peel away skin and white parts with your hands. The seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the white part floats so you can easily drain that off and throw it away.